Thursday, December 25, 2008

Happy Christmas!

Hello there. It's nice to see you here on this fine Christmas Day. 
I wonder if Jesus really actually cares about today. I mean for us it's an awesome day. Well, maybe not for everyone, but for me. Everyone's in a good mood, there are no more lights to put up or presents to wrap or Christmas cards to address(unless you're me...apparently it's cool to wait till after Christmas to send out the cards in my family.) But, at various cookie-making and present-exchanging functions, we're often reminded that today is about remembering Jesus' birth, not cookies and presents. But it's really not. Today is one of the many examples of Christians taking something secular and trying to make it Jesus-y. I went to a Candlelight Christmas Eve service last night. It was beautiful, but also kind of fake. I mean, it was almost midnight. I was tired, I wasn't "humbly standing in awe of the miraculous gift that came down on Christmas day to grow up and set me free." And I really don't think the guy praying was either. I think he was probably tired and wanted to go home. I don't know, maybe he's the godliest person who ever lived and never gets tired and never ceases to be humbled and amazed by a story we hear at least every year or every few months.  But anyways, back to my question: does Jesus really like this holiday? I have no clue. I really don't know if He's delighted in people using a pagan holiday and passing it off as His birthday. I don't know if He's happy that you got a Wii. I don't really know how excited He is that you helped the needy one day out of 365 and didn't even so much as pray for them the other 364.  

But I dig this holiday. It's pretty delightful. Cory called me at about 6 AM to tell me Merry Christmas. After we hung up, I slept till about 11. Then we opened presents and then I took a nap. And now I have to get off cause I'm not supposed to be on here and my family just got here and it's time to eat. Happy Christmas!

Much Love,
Marissa 

No comments: