Saturday, January 24, 2009

This Week

Oh. my. word.
This week has been crazy.
Sorry if this post gets lengthy, but it's been a week. I've had withdrawals.
So let's start with Sunday.

Our pastor preached the most amazing sermon he's ever preached and definitely one of the best I've ever heard. He opened the sermon with this quote: "We're not saying you have to be white, Republican, or from the South to be saved. I'm not saying you have to be like me to get to Heaven; you have to be like Jesus." I'm not gonna lie, this was a new idea to me. Sure, I'd never say that I thought you had to be a Southern, White, Republican to get saved, but I guess that's kind of how I've been raised. He talked about how we often think we can earn salvation by voting for Republicans or protesting abortion; or how we try to make people become more like us before we tell them about Jesus because we think we're good enough for Jesus but they're not. Most of us have heard that God's love is equal, unconditional, and never-changing which implies that God loves Christians and non Christians equally, but a lot of times I - and probably other Christians- tend to think that God loves me more because I'm a Christian. He spoke about self-righteousness, which I think is a huge problem, both for myself and a lot of others. It's pride, it's a sin of which we need to repent. Any holiness we have should be completely because of Jesus. God taught me a lot about witnessing that day as well. Even though protests against abortion aren't wrong, I don't think they're extremely effective. I think the thing that will bring about the most change is one person sitting down with another person, telling them about Jesus. It doesn't have to be some nervous, sweaty deal. You don't have to pull out the Romans Road or buy Way of the Master tapes. You don't have to lie. Just tell them what Jesus has done for you and what He has done for them. Show them some verses, listen to them. Love them.

So, on Sunday night, several of my friends from church spent the night at Juliana's house. It was oodles of fun. We watched tons of Youtube videos and I think I'm finally semi-caught up to normal teenage standards. haha. I had to get up at 7:30 the next day for an orthodontist appointment: not fun! Then, when I got home I was informed that all our computers are broken, hence the blog hiatus.

Tuesday. Ah, Inauguration Day!! We got to skip a period and a half to watch it at school. I was awestruck the entire time (except for when Aretha Franklin sang. eek.) I'm so excited we have a new president. I think Obama's a pretty cool guy. He definitely has his faults and will undoubtedly make many mistakes, but, like any president-or person, for that matter- he has a lot to give to us.

On the way to school on Wednesday, my mom's car just randomly stopped so we had to get it towed and we only had one car for three people and three different schedules for about three days: not cool.
Oh, speaking of Wednesday, we had this guy come to chapel that day. He preached a neat sermon about focusing on Jesus, instead of guys, grades, friends, school, life, etc. That is definitely not a strong point for me. The phrase "Focus on Jesus" has to constantly be pulsing through my head and heart.

Thursday was fairly uneventful.

Yesterday, we went to this local restaurant with my grandparents to celebrate my dad's first paycheck. It was in one of the worst parts in one of the most crime-ridden cities in America, so it was pretty terrifying; however, the food was amazing and it was a fun little place to dine.

That brings us to today! I had to wake up at about 7:30(wow, three prepositions in a row) and get ready for the County Spelling Bee. I was so nervous. I was shaking pretty much the whole time. Round 1. Round 2. Round 3. Round 4. Round 5. I think that was the round. The word was goumani. "G-u-m-a-n-i."

I had to sit down.

Excuse me for not knowing how to spell the names of foreign fish. I came in 5th place overall, which was disappointing, but that's okay.

I'm about to go buy a new metronome and pick up my nieces!

So, this week was not the best, but it was full of change and learning :)

Much Love,
Marissa

1 comment:

snr4gvn said...

I can't be sure, but I think the guy who spoke in your chapel was my youth minister.