Friday, February 4, 2011

A Writer's Life for Me

These are all the notebooks I'm using right now (well, minus the ones I use for school). There are 8 of them. I love them all and they all serve slightly different purposes.

The One on the Bottom is dark blue and I use it during my devotion time. I write down Bible verses, things the Holy Spirit shows me while I'm reading, prayer requests, and quotations from the book I'm reading, which right now happens to be The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer.

The Next One is invisible apparently. It's actually black, but it's not even the notebook I use; I've misplaced the one I actually use so I had to use a stand-in for the picture. I use this one for sermon and Sunday school notes and sometimes for drawing and other times for making lists of cliche things youth speakers do. (I have half a page dedicated to the cliche youth-pastory things a guy did a conference I went to last year. The list includes such things as "Claiming to have ADD, wearing a social justice t-shirt, making numerous pop culture references, etc.)

The Blue One is for book quotations. I feel like underlining in books is disrespectful or something, so instead I employ much time to copying large chunks of books word-for-word.

The Yellow One is for philosophy. My school doesn't offer a specific class for studying philosophy and I think it's an important subject to learn about, so I teach myself. Well, sort of. I downloaded some lectures from iTunes and listen to those when I get a chance. I take notes in this notebook.

The Striped One is my "writer's notebook." I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, but I write stories and thoughts and poetry and such in here. This is the one I use to try to "hone my craft," so to speak.

The Red One is my diary, I guess you could say. It probably contains the most personal things and the most detailed accounts. I use this one for "throwing up" (definitely for lack of a better term) my thoughts and feelings.

The Small Green One is for poetry. Poetry is something I mostly enjoy consuming rather than creating. In this notebook I write down the poems I enjoy.

The Stack of Cards with a Clippy is the real-time "notebook." I take it with me pretty much everywhere I go and write down things as they happen so I don't forget anything.

So there you have it, folks. My stack of beloved notebooks. I've wanted to be a writer since I was 3 and my obsession with notebooks started around that same time. If my house ever goes up in flames, I will pray for time to drag out all of my ginormous boxes of journals. There's just something so wonderful about the written word. :)

Much Love,
Marissa Lanae

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ooh! ooh! The small geen poetry one is the one I gave you, right? : ) glad you're using/liking it.