Friday, January 21, 2011

Radical Review

Today I'll be reviewing the book Radical by David Platt.

There has certainly been plenty of hype surrounding this book over the past couple of months. I've heard various opinions about it, some people saying it is the most life-changing book ever and some saying that Platt is merely seeking to endorse the "poverty gospel." So I decided to check the book out for myself.

This book honestly sums up a lot of the struggles and thoughts I've had over the past two years, ever since I discovered those verses in the Bible about selling everything to give to the poor and not being worthy to be a disciple unless I pick up a cross and hate my life and my parents. At first glance those principles seemed relatively simple, but as I have tried to figure out how to really live them out, I've learned that they are anything but simple.

Platt addresses those verses and the misconceptions associated with them. He brings a great deal of balance between the vow-of-poverty-social-justice believers and the evangelism-crusade believers, arguing that they can't exist apart from each other. He offers a few practical ways to live in "radical obedience" but ultimately says that we should first and foremost seek the Holy Spirit's guidance.

For the record, not only does he not preach the poverty gospel, he spends a good solid couple of paragraphs explaining why such a gospel is no gospel at all.

Basically, I think Platt offers some solid biblical ideas and perspectives, and I certainly recommend Radical.

No comments: