Saturday, May 15, 2010

What happens when you spend your free time reading the dictionary...

I do not claim to be the smartest or most grammatically correct person who ever lived. I frequently mess up words and forget where commas go and say things like, "That's the place where..." However, I have spent a good deal of time reading the dictionary and perusing doctorgrammar.com, so I feel like I can speak with some authority on these two matters.

1) Alumni.
This one is a pretty big deal lately because lots of people are graduating. I would just like to point out that you alone are not an alumni. Alumni is plural. You are either an alumnus or an alumna. So to all the people with the "I can't believe I'm an alumni" Facebook status I would just like to say this: don't believe it because you're not.

2) Newfoundland
It is not New-fownd-laynd, it is New-fun-lund. Just because we are from the south does not mean we can pronounce it like hillbillies.

Well, I hope this post was enlightening.

Much Love,
Marissa

No comments: