Thursday, January 7, 2010

Winter

(I thought this would be a good day to post this, since today is a snow day for me. Even though there is literally only about one small patch of snow at my house. No complaints, though. It gives me a chance to read Don Miller's new book, which is pretty excellent).

Springtime is pretty delightful. The weather is pleasant. School is almost finished. Spring sports at school -baseball, track, and tennis- are the best. The baseball team has really cool bats that make this awesome metallic sound when they come in contact with a baseball. I just love it.

Summer is okay. I always make good memories of camp and vacation and such. There's a lot of time to think and sleep and do all those things that can't be done during the school year. However, it can get boring and it's usually pretty toasty. Also, people aren't huge fans of wearing clothes in the summer, which is gross.

Fall is nice, and the weather's not bad, but when I think about the autumn, I always think of school and band and football games. I never really have very pleasant memories of those things.

And then there's winter...

I love winter. Not love, of course, but I like it a lot. One of my favorite things about winter is the trees. Very few of then have leaves, and they all look like silhouettes against the perfect winter sky. Bare trees make me deliriously happy. They look so old, like they were here before Twitter and Facebook and iPhones and motor cars and all those things. I become a regular Henry David Thoreau this time of year.

Winter makes me feel so poetic and philosophical. I would love nothing more than to just sit around, reading and writing and questioning the meaning of the universe. All those quaint things -like coffee shops and poetry and art museums- that usually feel a bit cheesy and desperate, seem so beautiful in the winter. The world looks so dull and dreary, and that forces me to seek out and search for beauty. It's funny how the revolving of a planet can make everything so different.

I've also recently realized that I really like cold weather. Granted, it's rarely very cold in the south, but when it is, I definitely enjoy it.

And then there's hockey. I've only actually been to one hockey game, but that one game was pretty rad. It's a sport on ice, people. What's not to love? Like. What's not to like?

Winter just feels almost perfect to me.

:)

1 comment:

Ceannfort said...

I feel the same way on winter. The cold wind is awesome!