Thursday, January 14, 2010

Funny the Way It Is (If you have a sick, twisted sense of humor)

Everything is crazy. I know that sounds dramatic, but it's fairly true. One of my classmates died the other day. Haiti is completely and utterly devastated. And the weird thing is, my life is normal. While millions of people are suffering, I'm sitting in a warm house with plenty of running water. The things that annoyed me the most today were the tweets I saw from kind people who were reminding me to pray for Haiti. I did my homework and ironed my clothes like everything in the world is fine. It seems like the world should stop when something terrible happens, but it doesn't. I think I read that in a book one time. Honestly, I'm completely numb to all of this. I can't imagine the pain my classmate's family is in. I can't begin to fathom the horror of what the Haitians are facing.

I went to the girl's funeral. I don't know why exactly. I didn't know her at all. I just thought it would be a good place to think. And it was. I sat near all the yuppies (strange word, but it works I guess) who normally only cry when odd hick boys break their hearts. But they cried over a girl they wouldn't have given the time of day to if she were still alive. I'm not trying to be insensitive. I'm just saying.

It seems like everyone I know (and millions of people I don't) is having a hard time. The past few days have been draining. Oh so draining.

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze."-Isaiah 43:1-2. Love those verses.

Much Love,
Marissa

No comments: