Sunday, March 7, 2010

With All Due Respect

I think guys and girls should come to some sort of agreement.

I think we need to have some mutual respect for each other.

Most girls hate all guys until one guy who knows what to say comes along, swoons her, and they "fall in love." Upon realizing that this particular guy did not hang the stars and will not always be there for her, the girl reverts back to hating every male on the face of the earth.

So on and so forth.

Most guys have no respect for girls until they see one they want to make out with. Upon realizing that she's a bad kisser or whatever, the guy reverts back to disrespecting every girl on the face of the earth.

So on and so forth.

We're both to blame.

Girls
I hear a lot of girls throw around the phrase "Boys are stupid" like it's just some meaningless cliche. I don't think it's right to degrade every male simply because a few of them have hurt you. I even hear girls say things like, "Boys are stupid. God is the only guy I need." I'm just not sure God approves of that. That's a pretty jerky/unloving thing to say. It also implies that God is taking the place of a guy, and, no matter how many depressed single ladies have told me otherwise, I just don't think God wants to be my boyfriend. He's bigger and cooler than that. I don't think guys are stupid. I think they, like us, make mistakes and need patience, not disrespect.

Guys
We are not bags of dirt. I'm not sure if what you guys do is worse or if it just irks me more because I'm being affected by it. Either way, it has to stop. It's really stupid how you can talk about your ex-girlfriend like she's not even human, then turn on enough charm to convince your current love interest that you're not a sleazebag. Oh, and it's pretty cool when you say unspeakable things about us then talk about Jesus or shrug it off by saying, "Well, you talk about us like that." Um, no. It doesn't work like that. You don't get to be total pervs and say whatever you want to say about us. I've had the opportunity to talk to guys who truly are striving to respect and protect us girls, and I appreciate that more than I can say. But to the rest of you: Grow up. Please.


So let's come to an agreement right now.


Let's all agree to respect each other even when that isn't deserved or reciprocated.

1 comment:

Jillian said...

Wow, this is soooo true!
I'll admit, I've been a "Boys are stupid" kind of girl.